The Joseph Rowntree Theatre has the following facilities available to its patrons
- Induction Loop for the hard of hearing (stalls seats only) accessible by putting your hearing aid into the “T” position.
- Level walking access for patrons requiring it.
- Space to accommodate up to 3 wheelchairs within the auditorium (please advise at time of booking)
- One accessible toilet located near level walking access entrance
- Nearby free parking
- Sales of sweets, ice creams and soft drinks before the show and during the interval
- Unobstructed sight-lines from all seats
- Booster seats for younger audience members (please ask the Stewards for these)
Access For All
Our volunteer stewards are available to assist or advise patrons
Entry to the building
Patrons who are unable to negotiate the stepped access at the front of the theatre may enter the building by a side entrance to the right of the building as you approach it. This has level access to the stalls of the theatre. The balcony can only be accessed via flights of stairs, there is no lift.
There is an accessible toliet off the corridor along the right hand side of the auditorium. It can be reached via the doors at the front of the stalls.
Other toilets are located off the entrance foyer, near the main entrance.
We have three wheelchair spaces at the rear of the auditorium, with seats for accompanying carers — all seats have unobstructed sight lines to the stage. The booking of these seats is handled specially by the box office.
To provide good sight lines of the stage from every seat, the stalls are fairly steeply sloped. The balcony has stepped access to seating. As wheelchair spaces are at the rear of the stalls assistance may be needed to negotiate the slope, our stewards will make themselves available on request.
Some patrons may prefer to use mobility aids to get to a standard seat and then have their equipment safely stored during the performance.
The stalls are covered by an induction loop, accessible by putting your hearing aid into the “T” position.
We have a supply of booster seats for our smaller patrons to make sure they too can enjoy uninterupted views of the stage. Our volunteer stewards will provide a seat on request.
Our main parking is a short distance away and is accessed from Haleys Terrace via the Yearsley Swimming Pool car park. Note that the theatre car park is beyond the swimming pool’s own car park.
Patrons that are Blue Badge holders may park on Haxby Road (which has double yellow lines around the area in front of the theatre) for up to 3 hours. Please do not park in front of the theatre gates which must be kept clear at all times.